Low Carb Deviled Quail Eggs are a great choice as an appetizer all year round. Partly because they’re absolutely delicious and are very easy to make. What makes people obsessed with healthy-eating shy away from them is the high amount of fats and carbs. Luckily for all of us, deviled eggs are very versatile. This is why we want to share with you this recipe.
This particular Low Carb Deviled Quail Eggs recipe is a wonderful and healthy appetizer. It’s also keto-friendly. While the classic version of this recipe calls for mayonnaise, we won’t use it. Classic deviled eggs are an actual caloric bomb. So, if you’re on a diet, the classic version of the recipe will completely sabotage your efforts. Therefore, we took the freedom to make a few adjustments here and there. This way, you can continue to lose weight and respect the keto diet.
Consider replacing mayonnaise with low-fat sour cream or Greek yogurt instead. Of course, these alone won’t replace the flavor contribution of mayonnaise. Which is why we’ll have to add mustard or lemon juice. If you’re not a fan of these you can replace them with vinegar or even pickle juice. These will give your deviled quail eggs that classic tang.
- 22 quail eggs
- 1/4 cup Greek yogurt or low-fat sour cream
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard or lemon juice
- pinch of pepper
- pinch of salt
- paprika, chives, and parsley to garnish
How To Prepare This Low Carb Deviled Quail Eggs Recipe
1. Place all the quail eggs in a large pot. Fill it with water. Make sure there is enough water in the pot so that the eggs are fully submerged. Then, on medium-high heat, bring it to a boil. We advise you to keep the pot covered. This way, the water will boil faster.
TIP: Add a pinch of salt in the water before you turn on the heat. This will make peeling the eggs later much easier.
2. As soon as the water starts boiling, turn off the heat. Do not take the eggs out. Instead, let them sit in the water for about 10 minutes. This way they will still cook.
3. After 10 minutes, drain the water and let the eggs cool down. Next, start peeling. After that, cut the quail eggs in two, lengthwise. Carefully remove the yolks, making sure not to damage the egg whites. Scoop out the yolks and put them in a medium-sized bowl. Mix the yolks with the rest of the ingredients until you get a smooth paste.
4. Next, fill up each egg white with the paste. Again, since quail eggs are so small and fragile, make sure to handle them with care. If you break the egg whites, your deviled eggs won’t look as good. After that, garnish with the rest of the ingredients.
Of course, if you are intolerant to chives, you can replace them with something else. What’s great about this recipe is its versatility. Playing around with a couple of ingredients won’t ruin the recipe. On the contrary, it allows you to customize it. For an extra touch of sophistication, in case the event calls for it, you can garnish it with smoked salmon, for example. Or, you could sprinkle a little broccoli on top instead. The choice is yours.
So there you have it, a delicious keto diet without mayonnaise and extra carbs. What’s more, it tastes just as delicious as the classic recipe! This recipe is a wonderful alternative if you want to respect the keto diet while indulging in tasty food! Don’t forget to share this Low Carb Deviled Quail Eggs recipe with your friends!