I am delighted to present yet another quail egg recipe that has a celebrity name attached to it: Patti LaBelle’s macaroni and cheese. This week’s celebrity recipe is a delicious comfort food that you can serve whenever you want to feel comforted. It’s also a relatively cheap recipe, which is always always a surprising thing. Who knew that nowadays good food can be healthy and cheap?!
Before we jump right into our celebrity favorite, let us first honor Patricia Louise Holte aka Patti LaBelle. She has had 16 tours and starred in 21 movies and tv shows – talk shows not included! Furthermore, thanks to her unique vocal abilities she has 15 Grammy awards nominations and 21 awards won throughout her life.
Patti LaBelle has started her career in the ’60s and is still going strong! As you can tell by now, she is a phenomenon. That’s why I’m so excited to write about her macaroni and cheese recipe! Without further ado, here it goes!
HOW TO MAKE PATTI LABELLE’S MACARONI AND CHEESE
Don’t be fooled by this recipe’s simplicity. You will most likely have to go to the supermarket to get the types of cheese Patti LaBelle used. Another thing to keep in mind is my choice to use quail eggs instead of chicken eggs. While the original recipe calls for chicken eggs, I’m too fond of quail eggs. Check out the recipe below!
Patti LaBelle's Macaroni And Cheese Recipe
- 10 quail eggs
- 1 lb macaroni
- ½ cup muenster cheese
- ½ sharp cheddar
- ½ mild cheddar
- ½ Monterey jack cheese
- 8 oz Velveeta cheese
- 2 cups sour cream
- 8 tbsp butter
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit or 170 degrees Celsius. Lightly butter a deep baking dish. You don't want to use too much butter, just enough to ensure the mac and cheese won't stick.
- For the macaroni, fill a large pot with water and bring it to a boil. Add the macaroni, along with 1 tablespoon of oil. Cook for 7 minutes, or until somewhat tender. You want your pasta al dente. Then, drain well and return to the pot.
- In the meantime, take a small saucepan and melt 8 tablespoons of butter. Stir into the boiled macaroni.
- Using a large bowl, mix all the shredded cheeses. Then, take half of the cheese mix and combine it with the sour cream, the cubed cheese, and the quail eggs, along with salt and pepper. Then mix this with the macaroni.
- Transfer the mix to the lightly buttered casserole dish and top with the remaining half of the shredded cheese mix. Dot with the remaining tablespoon of butter.
- Put the dish in the oven and bake the mac and cheese for 30-35 minutes or until the edges are golden brown. Serve hot.
My thoughts on Patti LaBelle’s macaroni and cheese recipe
I must say, this is one of those comfort foods I am going to make whenever I need extra pampering! What’s great about this recipe is that the Velveeta cheese doesn’t melt completely, but forms hot pockets that you can bite into as you enjoy your macaroni and cheese. This creates an incredible texture, that works wonders with the harmonious way the cheeses combine. It truly is delicious!