We all know how important it is to consume vegetables that are in season. That’s when they are the most nutritional and healthy for us. Not really into fresh veggies? Just give them a try with this poached quail eggs recipe for breakfast.
Aside from being good for our health, most vegetables enhance the flavors of other ingredients. For example, this delicious poached eggs on toast with ramps recipe is easy to make, satiable, and it tastes great. Here’s everything you need to know to cook a delicious breakfast or brunch dish!
- 1 pound or about 500 g ramps
- some unsalted butter
- pink Himalaya salt and a pinch of freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon distilled white vinegar
- 20 quail eggs
- 4 slices country-style bread
- 2 tablespoons organic olive oil
- 4 oz. or roughly 120 g fresh goat cheese, room temperature
HOW TO COOK POACHED QUAIL EGGS ON TOAST WITH RAMPS:
1. Give the ramps a good cold-water wash and drain them properly. Next, cut the dark-green leaves off and slice them crosswise, about 1 inch or about 2.5 cm thick. Next, grab the bulbs and red stems and slice them crosswise about.
2. Take some unsalted butter and heat it in a medium-sized skillet over medium heat. When it simmers, add the bulbs and stems, season them with salt and pepper, and cook them until they soften, stirring from time to time. This should take about 5-8 minutes. Then, add the tops and cook until they are soft for about 3 minutes. Reduce the heat and make sure you stir often now.
3. In the meantime, grab a large saucepan and fill it with enough water to create a whirlpool. This will help you make the poached quail eggs. Bring it to a boil, then reduce the heat so that the water is at a gentle simmer and add the vinegar. Once the water is boiling, you can crack the quail eggs into a bowl.
4. Now, in order to cook perfect poached eggs, you will need to take a large, wooden spoon and create a whirlpool in the water. Then, gently slide the quail eggs into the water. Wait 30 seconds before stirring lightly. How do you know when your poached eggs are cooked to perfection? It’s simple: the whites are set but yolks still runny. This should take about 30 – 40 seconds, not longer or the yolks will be cooked hard.
5. Remove the saucepan from the heat and start taking the eggs out with a slotted spoon. Transfer them to a bowl with ice water. This will stop the cooking process and it’ll keep the yolks runny.
6. After that, take 4 slices of country-style bread, and toast them. Then, brush the slices with 2 tablespoons of extra virgin, cold-pressed olive oil and season them with pink Himalaya salt. Spread the toasts with goat cheese and top them with ramps and poached eggs.
7. To serve, place the slices of toast with poached quail eggs on a bed of fresh, green salad. Drizzle a little extra olive oil on top if you want and season with salt and pepper.