One-skillet meals are wonderful – especially this quail egg tortilla with manchego cheese and green olives. It hits the spot at lunch or dinner. Enjoy this meal with a glass of Rioja whenever you prefer!
In fact, this delicious, Spanish dish is so versatile that you can serve it either hot, cold, or at room temperature. Sliced into mouth-watering wedges, this tortilla is dense with onions, potatoes, olives, and savory manchego, making it a hearty meal that you will definitely cook again!
- cold-pressed, organic olive oil
- 1 medium onion
- 1½ teaspoons pink Himalaya salt
- 700 g red potatoes
- freshly ground pepper
- 40 quail eggs, beaten
- half a can chopped green olives
- 120 g aged manchego cheese
HOW TO COOK QUAIL EGG TORTILLA WITH MANCHEGO:
1. Preheat the oven to 180 – 200°Cs. Place a large ovenproof, nonstick skillet over medium heat and drizzle about 2 tablespoon’s worth of olive oil to heat up.
2. Next, add the onion and half a teaspoon of pink Himalaya salt. Cook, stirring occasionally for 10 minutes until the onion turns soft and translucent. Then, transfer the onion to a large bowl.
3. Add 2 tablespoons of olive oil in the same skillet over medium heat and working in batches, add half of the potatoes in, making sure to create an even layer. Season with half a teaspoon of salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Cook the potatoes until they begin to soften. This should take about 8-10 minutes.
4. Next, add the quail eggs, olives and the potato mixture over the onions you set aside in the large bowl and stir gently to combine all the ingredients.
5. Heat up 2 tablespoons of olive oil in the skillet over medium heat. Add half of the potato-onion-quail egg mixture to the skillet, smoothing it with a spoon in order to create an even layer. Top the layer with manchego cheese and cover it with the rest of the mixture. Smoothing it again to create an even layer.
Tip: If you want it spicy, now is the time to sprinkle some dried chili flakes on top of the quail egg tortilla.
6. Cook the tortilla for 10 minutes on the stovetop. Then, transfer the skillet to the preheated oven. Bake the tortilla until the eggs are set and the potatoes are tender. This should take about 30 minutes. Next, adjust the oven to broil and cook tortilla until the top is slightly browned. This should take about 3 minutes.
7. Transfer the pan to a wire rack and let it cool for 5 minutes. Then, invert it onto a serving plate and cut it into 6 wedges. Serve the quail egg tortilla with manchego hot or at room temperature.
Preparation time: 1 hour and 30 minutes
Cooking time: 25 minutes