There is something magical about homely crisp pastries – especially when it’s power ingredient is comprised of quail eggs. With this delicious scotch quail eggs pie, you will experience a reinterpreted picnic classic that will taste every bit as good as it sounds!
See the recipe below and learn how to adapt a pork pie into a delicious, mouth-watering scotch quail egg pie! You can serve it with a spicy, red sauce or a green onion salad with dill lemon-pepper.
- 40 quail eggs
- 14 Lincolnshire sausages
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme leaves
- 100g fresh breadcrumbs (just use the core from some bread slices)
- 500 g shortcrust pastry
- flour for dusting
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
HOW TO COOK THE SCOTCH QUAIL EGGS PIE:
Prepare The Filling:
1. Take 30 quail eggs and a large pan filled with cold water. Put the eggs in and bring the water to a boil. Boil for 2 minutes. Then, remove the pan from the heat. Let it cool down a bit for 5 minutes and take the quail eggs out. Put them under cold running water. As soon as they’re cool, peel them.
2. Next, cut off the ends of the sausages and squeeze out the meat in a medium-sized mixing bowl. Season the meat with nutmeg, thyme and add about 70 g of breadcrumbs.
3. Crack 5 of the remaining quail eggs and in the same bowl, along with some ground pepper. Mix the ingredients well!
Prepare The Quail Eggs Pie:
1. Preheat up the oven to 200°C. Then, take two long strips of baking parchment and criss-cross them in a pie tin; either round or a simple cake tin that is about 20 cm in size. This will help you lift out the pie when it’s done!
2. Now roll out half the pastry on a flat surface that was previously floured in order to line the tin. This will be the base of your scotch quail eggs pie. Then, scatter the rest of the breadcrumbs over the base of the pastry and put in around ¼ of the sausage mixture.
3. It is time to take those peeled quail eggs and space them evenly on top. Then, pack the meat around and over them. Make sure you don’t leave any gaps.
4. Take the remaining pastry and roll it out, covering the pie. With a knife or scissors, trim the edges of the pastry. Then, pinch and crimp the edges to seal the pie.
5. With a fork, poke steam holes in the top and glaze it with the final 5 quail eggs (previously beaten). To finish, scatter the sesame seeds over the pie and bake for half an hour.
6. Take the scotch quail eggs pie out of the oven and carefully remove it from the tin. Place it on a baking tray and put it back in the oven for another 10 minutes in order to brown the sides.
7. After that, take it out and place it on a wire rack to cool down. Serve the scotch egg pie in generous chunks.
Preparation time: 45 minutes
Cooking time: 45 minutes + cooling