With a title as long as this one, it’s easy to believe you’re in for a very complex recipe. This couldn’t be further from the truth! In reality, this scotch quail eggs recipe is very easy to make and tastes absolutely delicious!
Just image the taste of smoked haddock and richness of the eggs combined with earthy asparagus! Mini smoked haddock scotch quail eggs with asparagus dipped in watercress mayonnaise will make for an impressive make-ahead weekend starter! The best thing about these? The calorie count is not that high!
For the scotch quail eggs
- 16 asparagus spears
- 400 g potatoes
- 400 g skinned smoked haddock
- 16 fresh quail eggs
- 25 g butter
- 2 tablespoons full-fat milk
- 50 g plain flour
- 8 – 10 beaten quail eggs
- 100 g breadcrumb
- sunflower oil for frying
For the watercress mayonnaise
- 100 g bag watercress
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 150 g mayonnaise
HOW TO MAKE SCOTCH QUAIL EGGS WITH SMOKED HADDOCK:
1. Start preparing this scotch quail eggs recipe by putting the potatoes in a large pan and fill it with water. Bring it to a boil. Next, add the haddock and eggs, all 16 of them. Boil the quail eggs for no more than 2 minutes. Remove them and cool them under cold running water. Keep cooking the haddock until it starts to flake. The potatoes will be done when they are soft.
2. Next, drain the fish and potatoes properly. Take the butter and start mashing it together with the fish and potatoes. Also, don’t forget to add about 2 tablespoons of full-fat milk for a thick mash. After you’re done, set the mixture aside to cool down.
3. Start peeling the quail eggs. When the mash is cool, take a spoon and start molding it around the eggs in order to encase them completely. After that, roll the encased eggs in flour and then in the beaten quail eggs and then finally in the breadcrumbs.
4. Do this for the rest of the eggs and after that let them chill for about an hour in order to firm up. You can even let them chill overnight if you need the dish ready for the next day!
5. Next, the watercress mayonnaise. Use your food processor to finely chop 100 g of fresh watercress with 1 tablespoon of lemon juice. Then, add the mayonnaise and stir.
A much lighter alternative for mayonnaise is plain, full-fat Greek yogurt.
6. Grab the asparagus and blanch it for 4 minutes. Drain it under cold water. Again, you can do this a day in advance if you need the dish ready for the next day.
7. In order to serve your mini smoked haddock scotch quail eggs with asparagus dippers and watercress mayonnaise, heat a generous layer of sunflower oil in a frying pan and fry the eggs until crisp on all sides. Place them on kitchen paper to drain the excess oil. Serve with the asparagus and watercress mayonnaise for dipping.
Preparation time: 25 minutes
Cooking time: 40 minutes