Generally, a scotch eggs recipe uses delicious meats to wrap the quail eggs. However, this meat-free spicy scotch quail eggs recipe is perfect for vegetarians. By replacing the spiced meat with spiced carrots, we’re cutting out calories and adding vitamins and fiber. You won’t want to miss out on this reinvented picnic classic.
Made with quail eggs, this dish is every bit as healthy, as it is delicious! Furthermore, it’s very easy to make, takes about 40 minutes and can feed 6 hungry mouths! See the steps below to find out how to prepare this delicious scotch eggs recipe! You’ll love it!
For the scotch quail eggs:
- 30 quail eggs
- 2 tablespoons organic, cold-pressed olive oil
- 3 – 4 shallots or a red onion
- 250 g grated carrots
- 400 g chopped tomatoes (canned) with basil
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- dried chili flakes
- 85 g chopped, roasted cashew nuts
For the dip:
- 250 g full-fat Greek yogurt
- a handful fresh parsley
- 2 – 3 tablespoons Pesto alla Genovese
HOW TO COOK SPICY SCOTCH QUAIL EGGS:
1. Start by chopping the shallots or onion and grating about 250 g of carrots. Mix the chopped tomatoes with the curry and some dried chili flakes. Then, grab a pan and roast around 85 g of cashew nuts. Make sure to chop then finely beforehand to release their flavors and roast them all the way through.
2. Take 24 quail eggs and put them in a pot with boiling water. Boil the eggs for 2 minutes, then cool them down quickly in cold water. After the eggs have cooled down, remove the shells carefully.
3. Take a medium-sized frying pan, heat up 2 tablespoons of olive oil and fry the shallots or onion for 5 minutes. After that, add the grated carrot and cook for 10 minutes or more until it softens. Add more olive oil, if you have to. Stir in the tomato-curry mix and cook until the resulting water is gone.
4. Beat the remaining 6 eggs and stir them in with some seasoning in order to make a paste. Continue cooking until the mixture is set – you really don’t want it runny. Allow it to cool down before proceeding to the next step.
5. With your hands, start wrapping the eggs in the carrot mix. In order to avoid the mixture sticking to your skin, wet your hands a little with water or a bit of sunflower oil. Wrap this mixture around each quail egg and encase it entirely. Press gently around the egg to create a ball.
6. After that, roll the ball in the roasted cashew nuts and some additional chili (if you like hot foods). If you’re having trouble rolling the eggs in the mixture, try rolling the peeled eggs in a dusting of flour. This will help the carrot mix stick easier. You can proceed to the next step or store the prepared eggs overnight in the fridge.
7. For the dip, mix the Greep yogurt with the pesto. Add a pinch of salt if you want to. We prefer this dip without it. Now chop the parsley and incorporate it in the dip. This will give it an extra kick, not to mention a ton of vitamin C.
Baking And Serving The Spicy Scotch Quail Eggs:
1. Heat up the oven and bake the eggs for 15-20 minutes. Cool them down for 5 minutes, then cut them in half carefully (only if you want to take a cool picture of your food like we did for this post ;-)).
2. Serve the spicy scotch eggs with the pesto dip and salad to turn this delicious dish into a lunch or dinner meal.
Preparation time: 40 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes